Directed by: Amy Heckerling
Written by: Amy Heckerling
Produced by: Twink Caplan, Adam Schroeder, Barry M. Berg, Robert Lawrence, Scott Rudin
Cast Members: Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison
Released date: July 19, 1995
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Duration: 1h 37min
Shallow, rich and socially successful Cher (Alicia Silverstone) is at the top of her Beverly Hills high school's pecking scale. Seeing herself as a matchmaker, Cher first coaxes two teachers into dating each other. Emboldened by her success, she decides to give hopelessly klutzy new student Tai (Brittany Murphy) a makeover. When Tai becomes more popular than she is, Cher realizes that her disapproving ex-stepbrother (Paul Rudd) was right about how misguided she was -- and falls for him.
• Sex. Clothes. Popularity. Is there a problem here?
• Sex. Clothes. Popularity. Whatever.
• Alicia Silverstone (Cher) actually did not know how to correctly pronounce “Haitians” in the classroom scene. Director Amy Heckerling told the crew not to correct her because she liked it so much and wanted it to be in the film.
• Alicia Silverstone did not have to audition for her role in this movie.
• You see how picky I am about my shoes and they only go on my feet.
• So okay, I don’t want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don’t get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair – ew – and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we’re expected to swoon? I don’t think so.
• Until mankind is peaceful enough not to have violence on the news, there’s no point in taking it out of shows that need it for entertainment value.
• Some people are not lucky enough to be as naturally adorable as you are.
• Anything you can do to draw attention to your mouth is good.
• I was surfing the crimson wave. I had to haul ass to the ladies’.
• Miss Stoeger, I would just like to say that physical education in this school is a disgrace. I mean, standing in line for forty minutes is hardly aerobically effective. I doubt I’ve worked off the calories in a stick of Carefree gum.
• Everything I think and everything I do is wrong. I was wrong about Elton, I was wrong about Christian, and now Josh hated me. It all boiled down to one inevitable conclusion, I was just totally clueless. Oh, and this Josh and Tai thing was wigging me more than anything. I mean, what was my problem? Tai is my pal, I don’t begrudge her a boyfriend, I really… Ooh, I wonder if they have that in my size. What does she want with Josh, anyway? He dresses funny, he listens to complaint rock, he’s not even cute… in a conventional way. I mean, he’s just like this slug who hangs around the house all the time. And he’s a hideous dancer, I couldn’t take him anywhere. Wait a second, what am I stressing about? This is like, Josh! OK, OK, so he’s kind of a baldwin, but what would he want with Tai? She couldn’t make him happy. Josh needed someone with imagination, someone to take care of him, someone to laugh at his jokes… in case he ever makes any. Then suddenly…